We all love to eat….well at least I do, lol and I pretty much can eat everything. I have kids and I not ashamed to say I munch on almost everything they do which I know isn’t helping my skin or my body. Not that my kids eat junk food but Goldfish, Jello, Lays Potato chip, Pretzels and Popcorn are not in the category to help give your skin that flawless appearance and beautiful glow. Also, to mention we are working towards fighting off wrinkle and aging in general. It’s always nice to be conscious and know what are good food choices for our skin. So let’s get into it, the best foods to eat for healthy skin.
It is without saying that Avocados were given by the gods. Packed with antioxidants, minerals, vitamins and mono-saturated fats. Why shouldn’t you be eating these bad boy at least once a day.
They are full of Vitamin C and Vitamin E which both support collagen and elastin production. Both of those vitamins give structure and firmness to your skin.
They are also filled with Omega 3 Fatty Acid, the good kind of fats. Omega’s have wonderful anti inflammatory properties. The fats helps to protect the skin from the suns UV rays.
Now eating an avocado a day is a must but putting it right on your skin as a mask is another great way to give your skin the direct vitamins, mineral, antioxidants and good fats that it need to keep your skin as healthy and youthful as possible. Applying a fresh avocado pulp mask with some plain yogurt or just using Organic Avocado Oil can help moisturize your skin, it prevents and treats acne, smooths out wrinkles, helps protect your skin from the sun and also helps to heal wounds.
So without a doubt get an Avocado in your body and on your face at least once a day!
Leafy Greens & Veggies
So I believe all veggies are good for your body and your skin in one way or another, frankly anything that comes from Mother Nature is good for you, but here are some of my favorite veggies to consume for my skin.
- Spinach: I love, love spinach and so does my daughter. Spanish is full of Vitamins B, C, and E which you need to promote healthy skin and cell growth. It also has Potassium, Calcium,Iron, Magnesium and Omega 3 Fatty Acids. It’s also full of antioxidants that helps with free radicals that cause damage to your skin. So start eating spinach salads with beets but my favorite is sauteed spinach and creamed spinach with some fresh salmon, yum and so good for you.
- Tomatoes: Tomatoes are wonderful and their bright red coloring just screams nutritious. Their red color contains Lycopene which is a powerful anti aging antioxidant and helps to protect the skin from the damaging rays of the sun. Tomatoes are also filled with Vitamins C and K. You can put tomatoes straight in your face to help treat acne, blackheads and excess oil. It also acts as an astringent to help brighten your skin and take away the dull dead skin cells from your face. Just take 1/2 a tomato rub it all over your face, neck and chest leave on for 10 mins then rinse with warm water. Very refreshing, give it a try you’ll be surprised.
- Broccoli: I love steamed broccoli and I also love it in my salad, wherever I can get it lol. Now broccoli contains Lutein which helps to protect your skin from the sun and also helps to hydrate it. It contains Sulforphane that also helps to protect your skin from the sun but also helps in fighting the number of damaged skin cells, slowing the aging process. It contains Vitamins A, C and Zinc so get your Broccoli on!
- Kale: Now Kale is just packed with straight goodness. It has fiber, Calcium and Iron. Also, Vitamin C which helps to promote collagen and elastin production. Vitamin K which helps with black circles under your eye, decrease inflammation and helps to tighten your skin. I love sauteing kale with scrambled eyes so good. We actually have a Portguese Kale plant in our yard so I make it a daily habit to eat kale once a day, you should too.
- Bell Peppers: Yellow, Red or Green which ever you prefer they are all good. Bell Peppers contain more then 200% of your recommended daily Vitamin C intake. They have antioxidants that helps to protect the skin. Bell Peppers contain Carotenoids that helps to reduce wrinkles and increase the blood circulation to your skin for that youthful glow. I love roasting 1/2 a bell peppers on the BBQ with some goat cheese inside, so good and a great side dish.
Who doesn’t love fish and if you don’t your really need to find a fish that tastes good to you because your missing out on such a great source of low fat and healthy high protein but to all the Omega 3 Fatty Acids that are packed in fish. Now the best fatty fish are Salmon, Tuna, Mackerel and Sardines.
The human body does not produce Omega 3’s on its own but it is essentials to good health throughout the body. The fish accumulates Omegas in it body from eating microscopic algae and other prey fish.
Bottom line is Omega 3’s help skin in all aspects from acne to wrinkle prevention to anti inflammation and hydrating your skin. Start eating more fatty fish or start taking a fish oil supplement.
Derived from olives in Italy and the Mediterranean , Olive Oil is full of wonderful nutrients. Another good fat, it contains Vitamin A, D, E, and K. All which benefit your skin and hair.
It is high in antioxidants that helps fight the skins fight free radicals that can produce damaging cell that can cause skin cancer. So consuming it is good but you can apply it to the skin after being in the sun to protect your skin from the damaging cells that can grow after sun exposure.
It can also have antibacterial effects for skin infections.
You can use it as a make up remover, it will take your make up off and moisturize your skin at the same time. How nice is that.
Pomegranates can stop aging in its tracks. Another super food filled the antioxidants we love, and full of nutrients for the whole body.
Pomegranates helps treat and prevent acne. The compounds in pomegranates helps to stimulation cell growth in your skin for the anti aging properties we all want. The oil from the pomegranate seed also helps to strengthen the epidermis (the outer layer if the skin) and cause the delay in wrinkles and sagging skin.
Drinking pomegranate juice helps to promote glowing and youthful skin.
The compounds in Dark Chocolate mainly cocoa is full of nutrients great for your skin. It is high in Vitamins A, B, C, D, and E also Iron and Calcium.
Dark chocolate helps to prevent collagen breakdown and helps to lock in skin moisture.
Along with the antioxidant properties in Dark Chocolate it can make you happy and less stressed out which is great because stress is not good for your skin at all. It helps to improve blood flow and helps your skin have density and stay hydrated.
It also helps with inflammation that can decrease or helps to treat acne and eczema flare-ups.
This is one is a no brainier. I’m a major fan of red wine. I usually have a glass or two a night depending on the day. Red wine is not just great for you skin but for your over all heath as well.
Red wine has wonderful anti aging properties. Its loaded with antioxidants that contain flavonoid, resveratrol and tannin
which helps to restore your collagen and elastin fiber to fight signs of aging and smooth out fine lines and wrinkles.
It also has anti inflammatory and antibacterial properties that do wonders for acne. You can soak wine in a cotton ball and wipe it all over your face, leave for 20 mins then rinse. This will also help for a dull complexion.
Red wine can helps with stress which we all need less of and it will help you sleep better which we all need more of. All things we need for beautiful skin. So a glass a day will give your skin a wonderful glow and provide your body with an ample amounts of antioxidants and nutrients. Cheers! ( Always in moderation 😉 )
Keep A Healthy Food Mind
As you can see it is very important that you are aware of what you are eating and how much your eating of the good stuff. You really want to be eating 100% goodness for your skin and your whole body. I would also like to mention water, water , water and I drink it with a squeeze of lemon to help with your breath, it also helps to detox the liver.
It can be hard sometimes with our fast pase life styles and easy fast food places that line up along the street, but those foods arent going to do anything good for your body or skin. More than likley their more damaging to your body then anything. So please take the time to eat the right foods its for your skin now and for your skin 30 years down the line. Eat well people 😉